I’m sharing how to put together a seafood spread on New Year’s Day that your guests will love and that will leave you feeling content, happy & healthy heading into the new year!
New Year’s Day is one of my favorite days of the year. Taking the time to relax, reflect on the past year, and spend time with family is always so nice!
After a long day of hanging out by the pool (usually with some football on in the background!), we put together a large seafood spread and sit down for dinner. A day or two before, we pick up fresh crab claws, shrimp, and crab cakes from the local seafood market down in Naples so we don’t have to worry about leaving the house – or the store being closed!
Below is what our menu consisted of this year which serves 6 people. It usually doesn’t change much, with the exception of a few items!
- 5 lbs of large crab claws (or ~20 claws)
- 2 lbs of shrimp
- A dozen crabitizers (mini crab cakes)
- Smoked salmon dip with crackers
- Fresh Grouper, Porgy, and Snapper
- 2 tubs of cocktail sauce to use for both shrimp & claws
- 1 tub of mustard sauce for the crab
- 1 tub of Remoulade sauce for the crabitizers
If you’re hosting a crew who loves to eat, you can add oysters or clam chowder soup into the mix to beef up the menu. I especially love the chowder option if you’re ringing in the new year where it’s cold!
For the table, special items you’ll need for serving & eating are:
- Seafood crackers
- Seafood forks
- Large platter to serve the claws, shrimp and sauces on
- Decent sized bowls for the empty crab claws & shrimp tails. We used cute seashell bowls, but you can really use anything that goes with your tablescape for these!
We may have capped off the night by eating some leftover wedding cake we still had in the freezer down here from our big day! 😉
If you’re looking to host family or friends and love seafood, I highly recommend putting together a seafood spread that will start your new year off on a healthy & delicious note!