I’m sharing my go-to smoothie recipe I make almost every morning to start my day on a good note! Even if you’re not a big spinach or kale person, I recommend trying this one out – it got me hooked!
I’ve been a big smoothie fan for the past few years. I try my best to make one 2-3 days a week before work, after a good workout, or after a night of unhealthy eating — and I especially love them now that I’m pregnant!
I had somewhat of an aversion to salad during my first trimester. Adding leafy greens like spinach & kale into my morning smoothies gave me peace of mind that the baby was getting some good nutrients, even if I decided to eat pizza & pasta for the rest of the day which was happening quite often. 🙂
The recipe I’m sharing below basically tastes like a Pina Colada, and you can hardly taste the greens! So what do you need?
- 1 banana (frozen or unfrozen)
- Tip: I usually cut up & freeze the last few in the bunch once they start to get really ripe so they don’t go bad and last longer!
- 1/2 cup of frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple chunks
- Large handful of spinach or kale (sometimes I mix both!)
- 1 cup of Harmless Coconut Water, add more if you need to thin
- I love using coconut water as my base because it’s super hydrating. Harmless Coconut Water is my favorite brand. You can buy it from Whole Foods, and it is a little more $$, but I think it tastes significantly better than other brands!
- You could also use almond milk for the base. The only thing I try to not use is dairy, which makes this smoothie super healthy!
- 1 scoop of plain Vega Protein Powder
- This is a plant based protein powder, certified non-GMO and vegan!
- 1 teaspoon of hemp seeds or chia seeds
- These are both a great source of protein and omega-three fatty acids.
Instructions: Add all of the above ingredients into your blender or Vitamix, blend until smooth, and enjoy!
If this sounds like too much for you to prepare in the morning – prep a few ahead of time by putting all of the above ingredients into Tupperware containers, and place them in the freezer. That way, all you have to do is pull them out, add the ingredients into your blender, pour and enjoy!
I’m always looking for new smoothies to try! If you have one you love, share in the comments below!